Things are progressing quickly. Mom has had several periods of time where she has been unresponsive and I have not been able to wake her up. I had the hospice nurse come today because there was such a dramatic change and the nurse (Donna--who is an angel) checked my mom's vitals and also ordered a hospital bed for us. It arrived less than two hours. She slept well in it this afternoon--so well that we had difficulty waking her up. She wouldn't wake up when Dan tried to say goodbye to her before he left for the 'Burgh. (Hey...go Steelers, by the way! Not everything has to be heavy, right?)
Again...the nurses have said that we don't have longer than two weeks, but I can't imagine it will take that long. I'm thinking it will be in the next couple of days.
Thank you to those of you who have been responding by facebook, e-mail, blog and phone. We appreciate it more than you know. We love you all and will see some of you soon. It won't be under terrific circumstances, but it will be good to see you just the same.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hang in there guys.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update. Our hearts are with you.
ReplyDeleteThis is my second attempt to comment directly on your blog. I'm just learning how to use all of the new advances on the world wide web.
ReplyDeleteI know these past few days have been a challenge. I'm glad you, Dan and your dad have been able to spend this time with your mom, though. It's nicer for her to be able to spend the time at home instead of in a hospital.
Isn't it amazing how your mom was able to rally and sit at the dinner table the other night? Even though parts of the day and night may seem like an eternity, I'm sure other parts pass very quickly.
It sounds like your mom is fairly comfortable, all things considered. That's good. No one wants her to suffer unnecessarily.
I hope you, your dad and Dan have been able to take turns getting outside and running errands, etc. Sometimes it's too easy to get caught up almost chained to the house -- afraid to go or do anything except wait and watch in case your mom needs anything. I learned from my experience with my mother's death that it's important to take a few minutes each day reaffirming life, too. Getting out for a walk or playing with your dogs for example.
Please give your mother a hug for me and if she's coherent enough tell her our spirits will always be connected. I realize her faith is strong, and she has come to terms with her mortality as she mentioned to me only a week or so ago, but I haven't had a chance to tell her how much I appreciate her trust and confidence in me throughout the years.
I pray you all find peace within yourselves even though your mom's spirit will leave her body soon. It never ceases to amaze me how the collective experiences a person shapes their personality and essence as we know it on earth and then, in a fleeting moment, it vanishes from the flesh.
I believe our loved ones spirits are never very far way...that matter and energy can never be destroyed...only transformed. I'm glad your faith in God is strong as it will see you through this challenging time.
Love to you all,
Kim