Saturday, January 24, 2009

Seeing Mom

Seeing mom was more intense that I thought. She is not moving very much at all and said that she thinks she fell three times yesterday. She also fell out of bed last night a few times, but is still not convinced that she needs a hospital bed. Mom put her contacts in this morning and we almost couldn't get them out. No more contacts.

Mom is talking some but not making much sense most of the time. Half of what she says we can't understand and the rest is usually a mixture of things that are real and things that are mixed up. It is hard to see. She also smells ketotic, which is almost certainly from starvation ketones. I called the hospice nurse today and she didn't seem concerned about the ketones. Mom said that the nurses have given her a couple a weeks. I can't imagine mom lasting that long, quite honestly. And, in all honesty I hope it doesn't last that long. She is so miserable.

I pray that God gets her through this...and us too. It is evident that we are all sad, but stoic.

2 comments:

  1. Well, it's been a challenging 24 hours. I was overwhelmed yesterday. For as confused and agitated as Carol gets, she is comfortable. We're doing our best to keep her comfy and warm. It's wonderful to have the kids home. What a relief. And my mom made and brought dinner tonight. We hope to continue to our best. It's kind of hard to see such rapid changes. We're hoping that this will be a peaceful process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is Kim Lambert (formerly Kerstetter)... I am heartbroken to hear how your mom's health has taken a turn for the worse lately. Darren and I are praying fervently for you and your family. I wanted to let you all know (and especially Carol) that my 1st graders are really enjoying all of the materials she gave me and am so thankful that I had such a wonderful friend to talk to about being a teacher. We love you all!

    ReplyDelete