Last night was spent working to keep mom in bed. She was SO restless that it was unbelievable. She did get over the side and stand up a couple of times (with much assistance). At 10:00AM we made the call to hospice to see if there was anything else we could do. We gave her a little extra medicine, and it was suggested that we not wake her to give meds. So I have been letting sleeping moms lie. She has been pretty quiet for the past few hours. The three not terminally ill Burrs have been taking turns camping out in various different places. ALL of the dogs are in my mom's room and Reuben is in bed with her. He bites you if you try to remove him.
I am not sure why Mom is hanging on. We have tried to ask her if there is anything left that she needs to do or tell us...the answer is always "no". She continues to reinforce that she is a "blue toothed" Swede, which in translation means "Tough Old Swede".
Regardless of how much sleep I get, I am still tired. Our hospice nurse is wonderful and was so helpful today. Still...the waiting is agony, and so many of you know what I am talking about. But wait we will...with gratitude for the time we have left with her--no matter how awake or not awake she is.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Bad blog. It ate my comment twice! Always more annoying when I'm tired.
ReplyDeleteThis morning was "The Day After the Night of the Living Dead". Carol's late night entertainment was comical. It took three of us to keep her in bed all night. We have no idea where she was going. "We have a runner!"
The only problem is that we are running out of drug options to keep Carol comfortable.
Mom was here at 0 Dark:30 with breakfast in a bag. I think we were asleep between bites.
To those wanting to post but can't, I'll try to paste your email under my account. We may not have many postings left.
Pray for our strength and Carol's peaceful passing. Thanks for hanging in there with us.
What happens when she gets out of bed? Does she fall?
ReplyDeleteWhen Carol she tried to get out of bed we just let her sit on the edge of the bed. Two times she wanted to stand, so two of us helped her stand up for a few seconds. Then she was content to get back into bed...for a few minutes.
ReplyDeleteWe were very careful to make sure that she stayed safe. I think that she's pretty much done with that phase. She seems to be following the classic steps as explained in the Hospice books.
Pray for a quiet night and a gentle passing.
Dear Bruce, Emilie and Daniel,
ReplyDeleteI had not heard that Carol's cancer had gotten to this stage - my heart is with you all. Our prayers that she be released in peace are with you, much as we know the grief that will also bring.
I wasn't aware of this blog until Jeannie forwarded the link to me tonight. I can tell how much love and care you have all given Carol - no surprise, except sometimes it doesn't show up so clearly in print. God bless you all.
Emilie, good decision about the meds. Given that your Dad and Daniel are in agreement, as I'm sure they are - keeping her comfortable is the right thing to do. Always.
Although we haven't been in touch over the past years, please accept our love and our faith that God is watching over your Mom, ready to take her home at the right time. And that He will comfort you all.
Love, Lissa
Hey guys- I just heard about the situation as well, from my mom. I talked to gram briefly tonight and got an update.
ReplyDeleteNot to much I can say or offer other than my agreement that, Emily, you made the right move on the meds. Your mom is with you guys, not in a hospital, and those calls are for family to make; and of course my thoughts are with you all.
You seem to be doing everything you can right now (Carol included), which is all that can be done.
Emily, Dan, Bruce- I love you very much, and wish grace and peace for you all.
Prayers and love to you all. A marathon it is. Only God knows for sure what our paths will be....
ReplyDelete