For those of you who haven't heard and for those of you we haven't been able to call, Mom died this morning at 11:45AM. Her passing was very peaceful--just how she would have wanted it. I stayed up all night last night to make sure she was still breathing. I took a short nap on the cot in Mom's room, and when I woke up, I noticed that her breathing was very different. I called my dad and brother in and we were all there when she passed. She just took one last breath, and it was over.
Although the funeral will be a closed casket funeral, I can tell you that she looked beautiful. After we were all done with getting her washed, lotioned, dressed and made up, we realized that she was smiling.
We are doing ok...how everyone would expect we would be doing. I am also saddened by the death of Bill Cohen (yesterday). Wow. When it rains it pours, right?
Mom's funeral will be a week from today: 2/14/09--Valentine's Day at 12:00pm. Anyone who wants to come is welcome. We will have enough housing for a bunch of people, so just let us know. For those of you who can't make it to the funeral, it will be broadcast live on the internet.
I will post more details on calling hours and the internet broadcast later. Please keep checking back. I'm extending my condolences to all of you, as this is your loss as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

What a lady. So glad that it was a peaceful passing. You all must be exhausted. Rest now and picture Carol gabbing with her God. Love to you all.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear of Carol's passing. My fondest memories are of her great enjoyment of being in front of a classroom of students that "caught on" to what she was teaching. She was an inspiration to us all.
ReplyDeleteJim Yovich
Emilie, you are so amazing! Your depth of character and commitment shines so beautifully....what a tribute to your wonderful mom! Carol is running now, and singing too. :) And you can rest peacefully too, knowing that you did all you could for Carol! Love you all. Dody
ReplyDeleteEmilie, Bruce and Dan
ReplyDeleteMy love and prayers go out to you all. What a wonderful support you have been to your Mom. Your mother was certainly a loving, caring and giving person. She was a tremendous teacher who touched many lives even when she was not feeling well.
I know you will all miss her but there will be comfort in knowing there is no more suffering and that she is enjoying her eternal home.
Here is a poem that meant something to me and maybe it will to you too.
Carol,
God saw you were getting tired, and a cure was not to be. So he put his arms around you and whispered, "Come to Me.
With tearfuleyes we watched you and saw you pass away.
Although we loved you dearly we could not make you stay.
A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest.
God broke our hearts to prove to us He only takes the best.
Love and Prayers
Linda Y.
Bruce, Dan, and especially Emilie,
ReplyDeleteI am so glad you were all able to be there when Carol passed to her next life. Emilie, I so much appreciate your blog. It has helped me to be there with all of you through this process. I cannot thank you enough. I know your mom would appreciate knowing how well you stayed in touch with many important people in her life and all your lives.
My prayers and love to you all.
Emilie Gail
I'm not sure what I can add to what Emilie has already told you. Carol passed so quietly and peacefully. It was wonderful that we were all there, including two dogs in bed with her. The most assuring thing to us was the smile on her face. She saw and knew something that we will have to wait to see. What a comfort.
ReplyDeletePeople have been wonderful with cards, comments, food, etc. Thank you all.
Special thanks, to Kay Black, one of Carol's teaching friends. She gave us the most precious gift of help yesterday. Words can not describe her gift of love. Thank you SO much Kay.
Dan has gone back to Pittsburgh for the week. We scanned photos to put onto a computer loop for the funeral. He'll do the final editing for us. He helped out a lot with some of the running around for the last 2 weeks. I'll miss him.
Emilie has finally had a chance to let down after doing so much for her mom for so long. She may need a day or two of sleep to bounce back.
I clean. Living with Carol for 30+ years, I know the standards to which the house gets kept. The last two weeks she kept telling us that everything "looked like the wreck of the Hesperis". (Which we actually saw in Maine.) I'm working to unwreck the house and start through the list of instructions that she left for me. Zeesh, talk about organization. She knew that I was only organized about lawn mowing and oil changes.
Once again, I thank you all for your kindness and prayers. I hope to see many of you later this week. For those who can attend via the internet, we will post instructions for you later this week.
I cannot begin to put into words how I feel right now...I am teaching in Carol's third grade spot this year and use her immaculately organized materials. I will always and forever treasure the time she spent in my classroom last year as an unbelievably faithful volunteer...with cancer, in all weather and totally unpaid!!!!and every child whose life I touch from now on will really be touched by Carol. I now know how to teach measurement to the quarter inch and so much more!!!
ReplyDeleteMy son had the great privilege of being her student and for that I am even more grateful. She and I had many neat talks and her wisdom will not be forgotten.....ever. Your daily blog is one that teaches what living and dying are really all about...love, suffering, service and loyalty. Thanks for sharing your mom,her life and her death with us all.
Lisa Royek
God bless you all.
ReplyDeleteLissa