Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Initial Pain Diagnosis

I went to the doctor on Monday, and it looks like I definitely have fibromyalgia--like my dad. My doctor is running tests to rule out any autoimmune disease like rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, etc. I am feeling okay...still just having a lot of pain and swelling. But I'm on pain medicine now to help things, and I am still doing light weight-bearing exercise to see if I can improve things.

But...I have SERIOUSLY good news. I had an interview at Family Services of Western PA yesterday (FSWPA) and they hired me for a contract position--hired me on the spot! To my therapist friends--contract therapy is the way to go. I'm only going to have 10 client slots, but I get paid nearly twice what I was making at my other job for face-to-face time. I don't get paid for paperwork/phone time, but I can certainly live with that.

I went to my first bereavement meeting at Gilda's Club last night, too. It was good. Colleen, the woman who runs it is really terrific and the other group members seem really great too. Being with other people who have lost a loved one to cancer makes me feel validated. We exchange comments that people have said that have been well intended, but not so helpful: i.e. "Now you will have to do everything like your mom did for the Holidays--that's a big responsibility and a lot of pressure!"

So...despite my body really rebelling against me, I feel good--content--at peace. I am still sad to not have Mom around--she had so badly wanted me to get another job. I wanted to call her to tell her--but she knows...I'm sure she knows. I'm convinced she sees all the things I'm doing that would make her roll over in her grave (like wearing track suits to work), so she has to know that I got this job and that FSWPA are thrilled to have me.

I hope everyone is doing well. I still appreciate phone calls, e-mails and any really great stories anyone has about Mom. Love you all...or in Pittsburgh-ese: yunz.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations Emilie! That is great news! (Well, about the job, not the fibro....)Is it located in Pittsburgh still? Will you have to move or anything? Will you be doing the other part time job too, or is this full time? Inquiring minds want to know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy for you about the contract position. That's great! I'll bet there will eventually be more hours for you if you want them. I'm glad you're keeping up with your health care. Once your life returns to a more normal routine for a few months I'll bet you'll be feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete